The nice coast of the town goes towards Policastro Bussentino hamlet; it is dominated by a hill covered by olive trees where Torre dell’Auliva is. Outside the town there is the last part of Bussento River, where canoe and kayak excursions are organised.
Santa Maria della Croce church is actually beautiful: form the parvis visitors can admire a wonderful panorama. The church has a main altar made of polychrome stucco: the altar is made on two levels, a higher level with angels and a lower one with wreaths and fruits, symbols of the Passion and Resurrection of Christ.
The name comes from the Santa Vergine della Bitinia, because the town was founded by some families escaped from the iconoclast persecutions at the end of VII century. After the destruction of Buxentum, today Policastro Bussentino, made by Roberto il Guiscardo in 1065, he developed the central part of the hamlet settling there the seat of the county and a tribunal.
At the end of 1500, Santa Marina became the feud of Carafa Counts from Naples, that kept the tribunal and built also the jail.
Santa Marina supported the unlucky expedition by Carlo Pisacane providing to him food and soldiers.
During Fascist period, Santa Marina was deprived of the seat of the municipality.
But the population rebelled against this situation and they obtained again the title of the municipality.
MONUMENTS AND NATURAL BEAUTIES
• Santa Maria della Croce church is actually beautiful: form the parvis visitors can admire a wonderful panorama. The church has a main altar made of polychrome stucco: the altar is made on two levels, a higher level with angels and a lower one with wreaths and fruits, symbols of the Passion and Resurrection of Christ
• Santa Marina Martire Church, decorated with late XVIII century stuccoes
• San Rocco Chapel
• XIV century walls built on the ruins of a previous Byzantine fortress
• Oliva or Auliva Tower, among the ruins of an ancient castle
• Santa Maria del Monte Chapel
• Fortress of Policastro Bussentino
• Santa Maria Assunta Cathedral, built in XIII century with a refined portal, on the top there is a wonderful marble shrine with Our Lady and the Holy Child, with two angels
• Museo Diocesano of Policastro Bussentino with important works of art, for example a wonderful ivory Crucifix; paintings and silver objects
• Lupinata Hamlet
• Santa Lucia pinewood, with Aleppo and maritime pines
• Bussento bridge, on its left there is a place from which it is possible to practice the no kill fishing, that is the fish is put again into the river
FOLKLORE AND EVENTS
• Blue fish festival (August)
• Lecture of Dante Alighieri works (July)
testi: Stefania Maffeo