The large territory of Caselle is situated between Rotondo Mount and San Michele Mount and represents the Northern entrance to the charming beauties of Bussento Valley.
The monastery of Sant’Angelo in Pittari and San Michele Arcangelo is actually interesting. There are ancient evidences of a Italian – Greek sanctuary where san Fantino lived.
The wild boar and salami festivals in August are very nice.
This territory was already inhabited during prehistoric age (finds of Bronze and Iron ages were found). Then it was conquered by Lucani and Romans. The feud of Caselle belonged to Princes of Salerno.
During Angevin period, especially during the years of Vespro war (1282 - 1302) fought by Angevins of Naples and Aragons of Sicily, Caselle was one of the castrum (fortress) of the inner defensive line, as the ruins of the tower testify.
Caselle had several feudatories, among them Sanseverino and Mazzarotta, until 1806 when feudalism was suppressed.
MONUMENTS AND NATURAL BEAUTIES
• Ficarola Wood with chestnut groves, alders and mushrooms
• Tredici Fistole spring
• Sabetta artificial lake, with trouts, eels and tenches
• La Rupe, where Bussento River enter through a big natural portal 10 m large and 25 high. This cave slopes down in the Sala del Gambero. The river sinks again and then it comes up again, after around 6 km, in Morigerati gorge
• Caravo Swallow hall and Orsivacca cave
• The monastery of Sant’Angelo in Pittari and San Michele Arcangelo is actually interesting. There are ancient evidences of a Italian – Greek sanctuary where san Fantino lived
• Laurelli archaeological area with the remains of a community of Lucani people of IV century b.C.
• Bastion of XIV century and sighting tower
• Santa Maria Assunta Church with portal of 1563 with sculpture portraying Saint Michael
• Palazzo Marchesale, of XVIII century
• Monument dedicated to Abele Parente, a famous physician that emigrated to Brazil in XIX century and he contributed to important researches and scientific discoveries
• San Rocco Church
FOLKLORE AND EVENTS
• Saint Michael the Archangel, the Patron, Feast (8th May)
• San Vito Feast (15th June)
• Our Lady of the Graces Feast (2nd July)
• San Rocco Feast (16th August)
• Epiphany Fair (6th January)
• “Gatta” Fair (27th April)
• SS. Pietro and Paolo Fair (29th June)
• September Fair
• Salami Festival (August)
• Wild boar festival (August)
testi: Stefania Maffeo
Powered by StarNetwork S.r.l. - VAT ID 03079120659