Vibonati is an ancient Middle Ages town, situated between two valleys: Fontana and Anfora, surrounded by hills covered by a wonderful Mediterranean bush. Vibonati has around 4000 m of coast. The beaches (Santa Maria li Piani, Parco Marinella, Villammare and Uliveto) are very wide and sandy and on them there is the rare Sea Daffodil (Pancratium maritimum).
Villammare hamlet with his houses on the rock was “Blue flag of Europe” in 2001/2003.
Torre Pretosa is very interesting, it was built in 1595. It was used as a refuge during the terrible plague of 1656. In XIX century the tower was used as a refuge by the cilentani rebels of 1828.
During the Second World War it was used by Italian and German soldiers.
The meeting of percussionists “Popolo and Tammorra” is very interesting (September).
Maybe Vibonati was founded in XI century. Some scholars think that the town was founded in IV century b.C. by the Phoenicians escaping from Tiro (in fact there is a hamlet called Tirone). Other scholars think that it was founded by Gisulfo, the last of Longobard princes of Salerno. According to this theses, the name comes from Longobard period: it is made of “Wib” (village) and “ate” (stream), indicating a village created along a stream. Other scholars, instead, think that the town was founded by Romans, and that the town is the ancient “Vibo ad Sicca” mentioned by Cicero. According to them the town was a very important port for Rome. A last group of scholars think that a group of people living in an area called Volle (2 km far from the modern Vibonati) decided to move in a higher territory because it was more protect from Saracens and pirates.
The town was dominated by Normans, invaded by Barbaric populations and then was ruled by many different feudatories.
After 1600 many people of the surrounding towns went to live in Vibonati to escape from the terrible plagues of those years.
In 1797 feudatory of Vibonati was Princess Teresa Carafa from Policastro.
After the abolition of feudalism, Vibonati was involved in the Cilento rebellions of 1848 and on 3rd September 1860 Garibaldi stayed there.
testi: Stefania Maffeo